My American Sign Language and Art class looked at Alex Wilhite’s oil paintings while learning how to describe the weather in ASL. They:
- chose what kind of weather they wanted to draw
- drew clouds and landscape in pencil
- masked the clouds with carefully torn masking tape
- filled in the sky with more than one color that matched the sort of weather they wanted to describe
- filled in the ground with more than one color as well – they were encouraged to look at Wilhite’s paintings for ideas on how to use the colors
- lifted the masking tape off to reveal their fluffy clouds
I think they did just fine.